The EC159 just like any USB modem gets detected as a USB mass storage or virtual CD-ROM when connected to Linux boxes. Yes, usb-modeswitch should take care of this and make it available as a GSM Modem. Unfortunately, the usb-modeswitch configuration skips this particular device, and that’s what I felt.
I decided to run usb-modeswitch to manually configure the modem by the following steps:
1. Get the latest release of usb-modeswitch
2. Build and install it.
3. Plug in the modem and run lsusb. Note down the vendor ID and Product ID.
For example: Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Huawei
The vendor ID is 0×8087 and Product ID 0×0020
4. Run usb_modeswitch -H -v <vendor ID> -p <product ID>
5. Now modeprobe using the same vendor and product ID
sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=<your’s here> product=<your’s here>
6. Your device will start working like a charm!
Do let me know in the comments if you are stuck.